I've always been told that it's easier to find a new job if you already have one, and while I do believe in this theory, I haven't ever been able to test it, as the only other time I was unemployed, I was still getting paid as part of a severance package.
So, what does that mean to my current search? I'm finding it difficult some days to maintain the motivation I need to drive me forward. I do have a job now, so I should consider myself lucky, and I do. There are plenty of talented and motivated people out there without work. They are probably much more motivated than I am, which is a problem, because there will come a time in the not-so-distant future when I will no longer be employed and I'll say to myself, "why did you wait until now to really put the search into high gear?" I guess it's a good thing that I'm acknowledging this now, but what's more important is that I take action.
So, be happy you've got a paycheck and can pay the rent, but don't be complacent about it. Act now, work hard, reach out, scour, think, plan, build a career searching machine.
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I've been through several job searches over the past 10 or 15 years--I guess we all have been, hence all of the job search books in the bookstore.
What I find interesting is that I've found most opportunities, whether full-time or freelance, not through close friends or colleagues, but through acquaintances.
I don't know if there's any logic to this except that sometimes the people who know you the least end up helping you the most. Cast your net wide and trust in yourself, and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Post a Comment